FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Members of Occupy New England, which includes activists from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut will be leaving tonight to assist in relief efforts in lower Manhattan. They will be joining members of Occupy Wall Street and the newly formed “Occupy Sandy,” as well as other community groups in order to provide emergency supplies and help with cleanup.
Occupy Hartford will be collecting an initial round of donations at Turning Point Park (corner of Broad & Farmington Avenue) at 6pm tonight.
When asked why Occupy New England would get involved in community efforts, Jason Morris of Occupy New London said, “Occupy isn’t just about protest and direct action, it’s about creating the revolutionary world that we want to live in through rebuilding the community our society with which our society used to thrive. Providing aid to our brothers and sisters because they are us and we are them – we are all human – is exactly that world we wish to create.”
Rebecca Burton of Occupy Hartford added, “This effort came together in less than twelve hours due to the connections that we’ve built across the region, as well as in New York City. We’re gratified to see the work that Occupy Wall Street is doing already to help provide support and ultimately to help rebuild this ravaged area that most of us have come to know so well through our work over the past year.” Burton went on to say that Occupy Hartford will be working to coordinate efforts to assist with the devastation that was visited upon Connecticut residents as well.
To donate to Occupy New England’s efforts, please visit http://wepay.com/donations/occupy-new-england or visit OccupyHartfordCT on Facebook.
For more information, contact Rebecca Burton at 860-371-5509 or email@example.com or Jason Morris at 860-501-9889
- HartBeat Ensemble, Real Art Ways mark Occupy’s 1 Year Anniversary with Special Performance.
- People’s University – 9/15: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals & Work Permits for Young Immigrants?
- Occupy New England Regional Gathering #2 – Sunday, July 29, 2012
- TOMORROW: Stand Up for Your Right to Film Police Actions in Hartford
- People’s University presents: NDAA
- Occupy Hartford Community Canned Food Drive
- Who is funding Mitt Romney?
- The Battle for the Soul of Occupy Wall Street
- Please stand with Lindsey Against Unlawful Arrest