Saturday, September 29th, 2:30 pm, HPL corner Attending: Alice (facilitator), Garret (notes), Sara, Diane, Mario, Sean Meegan (UConn student), Laura (? notes aren’t clear), and (eventually) Leslie from Kabbalah House
Garret gave an update on the Ryan action. This happened the next day, Sunday, Sep. 30. Anniversary — we’ll have another planning meeting for the anniversary celebration, this will take place in conjunction with the Monday gathering at Kabbalah House tonight Oct. 1.
Sean is doing his senior Sociology honors thesis on Occupy generally and OH specifically, asks to be included and of course is. He hopes to observe meetings and activities going forward.
Alice passed around a petition opposing nuclear war she got from Joe Wasserman at Hope Out Loud last weekend. Alice saw Hannah from the encampment and 70-80 other people at HOL.
Occupy Monsanto at the Big E — Debra, Nancy, and two women from from Boston area met up and hung around waiting to go in with “civs,” Debra in now famous chicken hat to elicit responses. They asked tough questions of Monsanto flacks in somewhat low key Monsanto traveling fair exhibit. Sounds like they a good time and stood their ground.
We wound up discussing issues, not really a reportback. There will be signholding at TPP, Farmington and Broad, this Thursday October 4, 4-6 pm.
The celebration will consist of:
- 1 pm gathering and install Timeline in tunnel between Bushnell and TPP (assume cops won’t care, if they intervene we’ll explain only for few hours, chill — we’ll take it down when our event ends);
- 2 pm march kickoff and view Timeline en route to TPP (direct route);
- 2:30 pm Speakers to be decided, but hopefully to include big picture (What Occupy done in last year) and OH role in it. Then an hour or so of mic checks and speak outs (flextime, if it’s just us, etc.),
- Around 4:00 pm we have cake and celebration.
We’re urging folks to bring pics or texts or manifestos to post on the Timeline, or old posters, banners, signs, etc. from any of the things that have happened in the past year! Be creative! Nat Gat handbooks. Newspaper articles. We want to fill a wall.
At this point there were two proposals evident from the various Reportbacks and discussions. As we were close to quorum (8) we went out and located Leslie who is connected with Kabbalah House and brought her into the meeting for last ten minutes or so.
With quorum we passed the following:
- OH endorsed the Ryan action at Chase Mansion in West Hartford.
- Sara proposed that the Celebration next Sunday be empowered to act as decision-making body, as a GA, with a view toward duplicating the GA experiences from a year ago if possible.
- The regular Saturday GA will also take place on Sat. 10/6/12, at HPL at 2:30 pm. Consensed.
Everybody is to focus on personally inviting (private messages, inviting to event page, etc.) people to our birthday celebration next Sunday!