Occupy Hartford General Assembly
Saturday April 7, 2012 * 2:30 pm * HPL, downstairs corner
Also present: Mary, Alice, Nancy, Joanne, John, Aldo, John, Jay, Mario, Diane, Barbara: quorum!
- 1st half hour of Monday Gathering (MG) is “mini-GA”
- Picnic: Sunday April 15th at Turning Point Park, 1-3 pm
- April 21st 12:00 pm at Hartford Public Library (HPL): teach-in on racism. (Same space, downstairs?) Johnny or Swan (or both) are offering this.
- April 30 Monday Gathering (MG) to include a presentation: Healthcare for All, how to gain access to healthcare.
- Womens & kids shelter closing for 6 weeks, needs funding.
- Suggestion we include address of HPL main branch on OH CT page.
- 99% Spring training on Wed. 4/11 6-9 pm, Quaker Meeting House, 144 S. Quaker Lane, W. Hartford.
- Picnic: Tax day theme, OH is back, kites.
- Spring Cleaning: creative lunch hour action 12-1 pm, at HPL [JAY, I DIDN'T GET THE DATE!!]. Need gloves, spray bottles, going to clean some corporate slime. Or something, get in touch with the working group at email@example.com
- MGs: There was a mini-GA at last MG. Schedule going forward might be 5:30 social time, 6:00 mini-GA, 6:30-7:30 activity. Next Monday MG, 4/16, 6-9 pm will be Roy Zimmerman concert. $20 donation or whatever you can afford.
- ALEC: 4 corps have left ALEC. Today, Monday 4/9, is deadline for corps to leave ALEC set by Color of Change. May 12th: New England regional gathering in Worcester. May 17th possible anti-ALEC action in Worcester?
- Trayvon Martin: About 100 including some OH at Albany and Main last Sat. Also Mothers United Against Violence brought out 130, but I didn’t catch the location/date.
- NDAA 2.0: Anti-NDAA meeting next Saturday, April 15th 1-4 pm at Berlin Mosque, 1781 Wilbur Cross Highway, Berlin, CT.
- Occupy New Haven: 3rd evction deadline is today, Monday 4/9, at 5 pm. Stay tuned!
- Financial: Things are pretty well finalized on accounts. Checks received in October, cashed!
- Kingswood-Oxford: Mary reported that the workers have drifted away from struggle. Joanne said we should keep up struggle, make noise. She will think about a proposal.
- Women’s Shelter closing (from Announcements). PROPOSED: a) OH take this on as an issue; b) GA authorizes independent action on this issue; c) Demand city/state come up with budget shortfall to fund Marshall House (20 places for women/kids). (Larry Deutsch has been working on this. April 28th is date for Women’s Action.) PASSED.
- Picnic: Not a direct action. We will try to avoid arrest. PROPOSED: A WG set up to look into bail fund and forming crack legal team. Joanne and Jose to form the WG.PASSED.
- Spring Cleaning requested $30, donations taken $27 raised at GA.
- PROPOSED: OH undertake a horn-honking campaign. AMENDED: Create a WG to do a Gene Sharp-style action, such as horn-honking, much interest, six people will form the WG. PASSED.
- MoveOn.org relations: Discussion, no proposal.
- Jay to fix address of HPL on FB and website, etc.
- Kingswood Oxford: Mary to contact Hannah and provide update to Jay
- Dictator to Democracy WG to meet and bring back proposal.
- Marshall House (Women’s Shelter): Mary to write a letter for Joanna to bring to meeting with city about this issue. Alice will write an update on Marshall House to post on website (FB?).
- Legal and Bail WG to meet and bring back proposal.
- Spring Cleaning: Interested parties contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The meeting concluded at 4:32 pm.